Breaking News
recent

Gonorrhoea

(aka "The Clap" or "The Drip")
Gonorrhoea is a bacterial infection which is sometimes referred as "the clap" or "the drip" and/ or colloquially known as "gono". Gonorrhoea is the second most common STI in the world. It is a very common infection especially among young adults. Gonorrhoeal infection present such clinical manifestations as, lower abdominal or pelvic pain, Odourous discharge, pain and/ or burning sensation during urination, itching, bleeding during and/ or after pareunia, heavy menstrual flow, etc. Prolonged gonorrhoeal infection can lead to such medical complications as, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), ophthalmia neonatorun, Epididymitis, Ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage, infertility, Endometritis, arthritis, etc.

Causes
Gonorrhoea is an infection caused by a bacterium called Neisseria gonorrhoea or Neisseria gonococcus as it is popularly called. This gonococcus bacterium infect and damages the moist mucous membranes of the genital tracks (of both men and women), rectum, throat, and the eyes. Gonorrhoea is the second most common or rampant sexually transmitted infection (STI) in the world. In most persons, gonococcal infection does not present any noticeable signs and symptoms or clinical manifestations. This therefore increases the risk of spreading the Infection.

Transmission
Gonorrhoea is primarily transmitted from an infected person to another through any type of unprotected intercourse. Gonorrhoea can infect both men and women alike, and it can cause mild to severe infection of the genital tracks, rectum, throat and the eyes. In females, gonorrhoea can also infect the uterine cervix.

Men have about 20% chance of contracting this infection from a an unprotected pareunia with an infected female, while women have about 60 - 80% chance of being infected from a single coition with an infected male. An infected pregnant woman can transmit the gonorrhoeal infection to her newborn during childbirth. When the eyes are infected, it is called ophthalmia neonatorun.

Treatment
Gonorrhoea is treatable and curable. It is usually treated with antibiotics such as ceftriaxone which is normally administered with either azithromycin or doxycycline. Normally, the symptoms should subside about a day after treatment.

There is an increasing prevalence of a new strain of the infection which is resistant to the azithromycin component. Therefore, consult your doctor for the best course of treatment. Always ensure to attend a follow-up appointment about two weeks after treatment is completed for another test to be carried out to confirm that you are clear. It is recommended that your partner(s) be tested and treated equally. Avoid having intercourse until you've been cleared of the infection.

Prevention
Gonorrhoeal infection can be prevented by:
  1. Abstinence, abstaining totally or completely from any form of pareunia activities is the best and safest way to preventing gonorrhoeal infection.
  2. Use of protection properly and consistently will help to reduce and/ or prevent gonorrhoeal infection.
  3. Maintaining a single partner who is not infected is one of the safest prevention method of gonorrhoeal infection. Each time you have a new partner, you are exposed and you put your partner(s) at risk.
  4. If you and/ or your partner(s) are/ is experiencing an unusual symptoms, get tested. And if already infected, avoid (stop) coition until treatment is complete for you and your partner(s).
  5. Have your partner(s) tested, always endeavour to find out whether your partner(s) has been tested for STIs, basically gonorrhoea. If not, ask if he/ she would be willing to get tested and encourage such person(s) to go for Screening before having sex.


See a Doctor
Feeling pain or burning sensation during urination? Are you having some coloured and smelling discharge? Are you feeling tired, fatigued or lethargic? Having any sores around your genitals? Are you experiencing an unusually heavy Menstrual flow? are you feeling malaise, intense itching and irritation around your genitals or feeling this general body weakness for reasons you can not possibly explain. Make an appointment with your doctor get yourself checked, tested and treated. It is time to get well.



Please Follow us or Subscribe now to receive constant update of our Posts...!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.